Thursday, September 11, 2008

Home and back among the wired world.

Wow! What a great trip with so many super memories and sights that are difficult to say one is better that the other. We logged over 1700 miles and visited Sault Ste Marie, The Agawa Canyon, Mackinaw City and Island, Paradise, Whitefish Point, Point Iriquois, Munising, Grand Marais, and finished our excursion in Copper Harbor before coming home this morning. The past week has been without any significant internet access so things have piled up.



Among the many highlights was our Pictured Rocks cruise at Munising that was an adventure that started out nice, a couple of rain showers and three rainbows later we were back at the dock. The grand finale Rainbow was the largest that any of us had ever seen. In the picture below the bright part of the rainbow is at least three miles away. A bit later it looked even larger from the scenic overlook.





The East Channel Lighthouse in Munising Bay is one of the coolest lights anyplace in my opinion. It's interesting to see the sand filling in the front of the beach again. The last time I was at Munising on a dive trip around 1999, the steel shoreline was being installed in order to save the light from falling into the bay because of the eroding shoreline. You can see the sand that has filled in front of the steel below. When I was there last time the water right in front of the light was over 20 feet deep. The shifting sands is one of the awesome things about Lake Superior





Another of my favorite trip events was sitting at Mission Point near Sault Ste Marie watching the 1000 foot ore boat Edgar Speer coming upbound. When we pulled in at Mission Point there was an older pickup with grandpa and his two young grandchildren in the truck. The little girl in the truck was super excited because her "Nanny" was coming on the big boat. The little girl went on to say he Nanny lived on the big red boat. When the Speer passed, Nanny was out on the walkway waving like crazy at her grandchildren. The speer blew a short saute (one long-two short)and then a Master Salute consisting of three long and two short blasts for the grandkids.










I don't know how many Lakers (ore boats) we saw on the trip but there were a lot, including most of my favorites. One of my past times through the years has been monitoring great lakes shipping including modern shipping and shipwrecks on the big lake. My companions on the trip were impressed when we were crossing the international bridge back into the states when I saw the stack of the Roger Blough and named it for them. When time permits I'll post more pics up on my Picasa site. I have not counted how many images I took on the trip but most days I managed to fill my memory card. The least favorite place we visited was probably Mackinaw Island for multiple reasons. I've never seen that many fudge stores in such a small area in my life. They have to have the world record for the most fudge stores in the smallest piece of real estate anyplace. So many people in such a small area was hard to handle

No comments: